Sejarah Informasi tentang Perhimpunan Reumatologi Indonesia
A Brief History of Indonesian Rheumatology Association (IRA)
The Indonesian Rheumatology Association (IRA) was first established in Solo, Central Java in 1972 by Prof. Dr. R. Soeharso. At that time he was really concerned in regards with the increase of rheumatic patients who having deformities. He and Dr. Soepanto, an orthopedic surgeon, then registered IRA as a one of SEAPAL member. The first Rheumatology Course in August 1982 became the starting point of the development of Rheumatology Science in Indonesia. Several participants in this course were then became the driving force in the development of Rheumatology in Indonesia.
Starting milestones IRA development:
First Rheumatology Periodic Course, August 9 – 13, 1982, Jakarta
First National Congress of IRA, July 28 – 30, 1983 in Semarang, Central Java.The first congress outcome:
Officially declared Statutes/Post-secondary Law of IRA
President elected was dr. A.R. Nasution
Launch of IRA logo: red circle with black edges symbolize the unity of Indonesia, two leafs symbolize the treatment and the red and white colors symbolized not only Indonesian flag but also inflammation and non-inflammation
Fig 1. Upgrading course on Immuno-rheumatology in 1989, Jakarta
As a professional organization, IRA is formed with following vision, mission and goals.
To be a rheumatology association which acknowledged worldwide.
To bond the relationship between healthcare provided who interest in rheumatology to build and improve the knowledge and understanding about rheumatology and then to give better service to Indonesia society and all human being.
Improve the knowledge and understanding of healthcare provider in regardswith rheumatic disease
Improve the knowledge and understanding of society and general community in regards with rheumatic diseases
Improve the quality of life of rheumatic disease patients
Build collaboration between health organizations especially in rheumatology field.
Provide training in rheumatology field for physician, healthcare providers, patients and societies.
During the congress of Indonesian Internal Medicine Association VI (KOPAPDI VI), July 24 – 28 1984, Rheumatologist was first introduced as one of the subspecialists in Internal Medicine in Indonesia, and dr. A.R. Nasution was inaugurated as the first Rheumatology Consultant. Later in 1986, Rheumatology Consultant were alsogranted to:
• Dr. H.M. Adnan from Jakarta
• Dr. Harry Isbagio from Jakarta
• Dr. Gina H. Santoso from Surabaya
• Dr. Zaenal Effendi from Surabaya
• Dr. O.K. Moehad Sjah from Medan
• Dr. Agus Adi Lukito from Bandung
• Dr. E.S. Tehupeiory from Makassar
The current number of Internist Rheumatology Consultant (SpPD-KR) in Indonesia until June 2016 is 49, spread throughout the big cities in Indonesia. There are also 15 fellows who are on training.
Fig 2. Member of Indonesia Reumatology Association
Indonesian Rheumatology Association has 15 branches spread through out the big cities in Indonesia: Medan, Padang, Palembang, Bandung, Jakarta, Semarang, Yogyakarta, Surakarta, Surabaya, Malang, Denpasar, Makassar, Manado, Banjarmasin and Balikpapan.
Organizing Congress and Working Conference
National Congress is held every 4 years, whereas Working Conference is held every 2 years. During the event of Congress or Conference, there will be a national scientific meeting and discussion of organization affairs.
IRA National Congresses
Following are IRA national congresses which some of them held in conjunction with international Rheumatology meetings
- 1st National Congress of IRA, in July1983, Semarang, elected dr. A.R. Nasution, SpPD-KR as President of IRA
- 2nd National Congress of IRA in January 1987, Jakarta, elected dr. A.R. Nasution, SpPD-KR as President of IRA. This congress was held in conjunction with the 1st ASEAN Congress of Rheumatology and the 1st International Congress of Rheumatology in Indonesia
- 3rd National Congress of IRA in September 1992, Bali, elected dr. H.M. Adnan SpPD-KR as President of IRA. This congress was held in conjunction with 7th Congress of APLAR. For the second time International Rheumatology Congress was held in Indonesia
- 4thNational Congress IRA in July 1997, Bandung, elected dr. Harry Isbagio, SpPD-KR as President of IRA. This congress is held in conjunction with The 1st Congress of Indonesian SLE Association
- 5thNational Congress IRA in June 2001, Surabaya, elected dr. Harry Isbagio, SpPD-KR as President of IRA.
- 6th National Congress IRA in June 2006, Surabaya, elected Prof Dr. dr. Handono Kalim, SpPD-KR as President of IRA.
- 7thNational Congress IRA in December 2009, Bali, elected Prof Dr. dr. Handono Kalim, SpPD-KR as President of IRA. This congress is held in conjunction with 1st Indonesian Japan Rheumatology Forum (IJRF)
- 8th National Congress IRA in December 2014, Medan, Elected dr. Sumariyono, SpPD-KR as President of IRA.
Beside the National Congress, the branches of IRA held their annualmeeting, which usually attended by 200 to 900 participants; depended on the host city. Aside from rheumatologist the meeting participants also includes general practitioners, internists, orthopedic surgeons, rehabilitation medicine specialists and neurologists.
Following are the annual scientific meeting organized by IRA and IRA branches:
- Temu Ilmiah Reumatologi (TIR) / Rheumatology Scientific Meeting, held annually in Jakarta, started in 1999, this year in 2016 is the 18thmeeting.
- Reumatologi Klinik Bandung (RKB) / Clinical Rheumatology Bandung, held annually in Bandung, since 2008, this year in 2016 is the 9th meeting.
- Kajian Ilmiah Reumatologi (KIRNAS)/ Rheumatology Scientific Review or Rheumatology Annual Meeting in Joglosemar (Jogjakarta/ Solo/ Semarang), started in 2006, this year in 2016 is the 11th meeting.
- Pain and Rheumatology Update (RPU) in Sudema (Surabaya/Denpasar/Malang) started in 2007, this year in 2016 is the 10th meeting.
- Balikpapan Rheumatology Update (BRU) in Balikpapan started in 2013
As the contribution for the treatment of rheumatic diseases, Indonesian Rheumatism Association has published several Guidelines in Rheumatology for following diseases:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Pain Management
- Fibromyalgia, and
Indonesia Rheumatism Association (IRA) also work together with community organizations, such as Lupus Foundation of Indonesia, Syamsi Dhuha Foundation and Perhimpunan Masyarakat Peduli Reumatik (Permari) / Society for Care of Rheumatism. The collaboration intend to give appropriate information about rheumatic disease to society, help patients to understand their disease and find the better solution and care of their diseases. Together with rehabilitation medicine doctors, IRA also created the special exercises for patients with rheumatic diseases.
Fig 3. Art Performance on world Lupus Day 2009 (photo courtesy from SDF Lupus Foundation)
Fig 4.Exercise for rheumatic patients
Future of IRA
In the future IRA would like to encourage more young doctors in Indonesia to work in Rheumatology field. IRA will also work together with government, society as well as other health professionals to increase the awareness of rheumatic and autoimmune disease and find the better way to manage these diseases in Indonesia.